Our specialist insurance for personal trainers and fitness instructors will protect you from possible liability claims, damage, loss or theft of any sports equipment you own, plus loss of earnings in case you suffer personal injury resulting in you being unable to work.

Personal trainers and fitness instructors have a duty of care to their clients, so all personal trainers should consider taking out specialist personal trainer insurance. Plus, most gyms and sports centres require proof of insurance before PTs can start working on the gym floor. With Insure4life personal trainer insurance, you’re free to focus on what matters – helping your clients achieve their goals.

What insurance do personal trainers need?

Our specialist personal trainer insurance can include the following cover:

  • Public Liability cover

We understand that most personal trainers do everything they can to keep their clients safe during sessions, but despite this, things can still go wrong. That’s why Public Liability is the most important insurance for many personal trainers.

Public Liability provides protection if you, or one of your clients causes damage to property or if a client injures themselves during as session. For example, if one of your clients damages gym equipment during one of your sessions, you could be held accountable. Having Public Liability insurance protects you from such claims, ensuring your business isn’t affected.

Proof of Public Liability is required by most gyms and sports centres where personal trainers operate and is therefore vital if you wish to use these facilities.

Insure4Life offers €1m, €2m, €5m or €10m Public Liability cover options.

  • Professional Indemnity cover

Part of being a successful personal trainer or fitness instructor is providing your clients with professional advice. However, even the most experienced personal trainers can, at times, provide incorrect advice, leading to potential accidents. For this reason, you need Professional Indemnity cover.

If a client was to suffer a bad sprain or even a broken bone as a result of an exercise you’ve instructed and claim it was due to your negligence or simply bad advice, you could be held responsible. Professional Indemnity cover protects you against such claims.

Insure4Life provides €1m Professional Indemnity free of charge when you include Public Liability on your policy.

  • Sports Equipment cover

We understand that many personal trainers rely on a range of valuable equipment to ensure they give their clients the very best service.

Despite taking the utmost care and attention with your equipment, transporting it to and from the gym or client’s homes, combined with new and inexperienced clients using it for this first time, can lead to accidents happening.

That’s why we provide sports equipment insurance, to compensate you if your equipment is lost, stolen or damaged. What’s more, if it’s less than a year old, following a successful claim, it will be replaced with a brand new item.

Insure4Life offers unlimited Sports Equipment cover, with a maximum value for one item of €2,500.

  • Personal Accident cover

Accidents can happen to even the most experienced personal trainers. Whether it’s relatively minor injuries which require physio, or more severe accidents which cause broken bones or permanent disablement, it makes sense to protect yourself in case anything should happen.

Personal Accident protection up to €50,000 can help cover the cost of physiotherapy or dental treatment required or provide compensation if you suffer accidental death, permanent disablement, loss of limbs or loss of sight as a result of an accident which happens during one of your sessions.

  • Loss of earnings cover

If you do happen to suffer a serious injury whilst carrying out your insured activity you may be unable to work for a period of time, putting your business on hold and you out of pocket.

That’s why we also offer Loss of Earnings cover if you take out Personal Accident insurance. This provides financial support whilst you’re unable to work. You can claim for Loss of Earnings for up to 52 weeks, although we will not cover the first 14 days you are unable to work.

  • Employers’ Liability cover

If you employ staff as part of your personal trainer or fitness instructor business you’re legally required to take out Employers’ Liability insurance.

If any of your employees were to suffer an injury whilst at work and hold you responsible, you could be on the receiving end of a potentially costly compensation claim. Employers’ Liability cover would enable you to meet the cost of a claim such as this, ensuring your business isn’t affected.

  • How much does personal trainer insurance cost?

Insure4Life Public Liability insurance for personal trainers starts at just €49.49 a year for €1m of cover*. We recommend that if you use your own equipment when teaching clients to add equipment cover for an additional €13.50 a year for €250 of equipment*. Get a quote today and tailor your policy to get a more accurate cost.

  • Can payments be spread through the year?

Yes, you can pay monthly on all our annual policies over €50. Unlike some of our competitors, there are no additional costs for monthly payments. Our monthly payments are arranged through our partner Premium Credit Limited. You will be required to pay a 20% deposit initially and the remainder will be split over 9 equal monthly instalments.

What is covered?

Will I be covered if I train clients online?

Your Public Liability insurance will only cover you during a face to face session or an online video session such as skype and the insured limit will be the amount you select. If following these sessions you provided training schedules for them to follow before your next session and an injury resulted because of this advice, this would also be covered under your Professional Indemnity but it is limited to £1m.

We will not provide cover if all your training sessions are done completely online where you never interact or see your clients i.e. not through a skype video.

What sports and classes are covered?

We have worked hard to ensure that the most popular sports, activities and classes in the UK are covered, so everything from aerobics, boxercise, spinning and zumba, to some that you may not be as familiar such as buggy fit, friskis and svettis. View the full list here

What sports and classes are not covered?

Please check our sports we don’t cover page, as unfortunately there are certain sports and activities we can’t insure. If you can’t find the sport or class on the list, just email us at info@insure4life.de and we’ll be able to advise you. Alternatively, please call us on 0800 158 5530.

Can I be covered for more than one activity?

Yes, Insure4life provide free multi-sports cover, so personal trainers and fitness instructors can be covered for over 270 sports and activities on one single policy. All we ask is that you are qualified to teach or instruct all the sports or activities you are doing.

I am a newly qualified personal trainer or fitness instructor; will this affect my insurance premium?

Not at all, as long as you hold a qualification recognised by the DE National Governing Body for the Sport.

Are there restrictions on where I train?

Insure4life don’t place restrictions on your location but if you’re running sessions in public spaces you may need to request permission from the relevant authorities. We also strongly recommend you conduct risk assessments ahead of teaching a class or session. What is most important is that you have the appropriate qualifications, beyond that you are covered to take your personal training sessions in the gym, a local park or at client’s homes.

Can I be covered to teach outside of the DE?

Yes, it’s easy to add Worldwide cover to your policy so you are protected when running personal training sessions abroad. And unlike some other insurers, our Worldwide cover includes the USA and Canada.

Am I covered to offer nutritional advice?

Yes, as long as the nutritional advice you are giving is part of your personal trainer qualification.

Am I covered for instructing children?

Yes, as long as you have the relevant personal trainer qualification we can insure you.

Making a claim

We understand making a claim can be a stressful time, so our aim to is to give you clear, helpful information that will make the process as simple and worry free as possible. If your question is not answered here, please check out our FAQ page.

What should I do if I need to make a claim?

If an incident happens please contact one of our claims advisers as soon as you can. If you call out of office hours, you can leave a message and you will be contacted the next working day.

All the details for making a claim will be in your policy documents, if you would rather speak to us, you can give us a call on +44 116 318 04 70

Will I have to pay an excess if I make a claim?

An excess is only applicable to Loss of Income, Sports Equipment or Personal Accident claims relating to Hospitalisation, Emergency Dental or Physiotherapy.

Is sports equipment replaced on a new for old basis?

Yes, any items which were purchased by you and are under a year old, subject to satisfactory proof of ownership, will be replaced new for old. Sports equipment items that are over a year old will be replaced on the indemnity value of that equipment at the time of damage or loss.

Very happy with my insurance, would definitely recommend

Mr Amy Allgrove

Whole thing was made very easy! All processed very quickly.THANKS!

Mrs Karen Calderwood

Quick and professional and very happy with my quotation .

Mr Kevin Evans